Friday, January 25, 2013

Late Night Phone Calls


As always, if you would like to be updated by an e-mail whenever I add a new post, add your e-mail address in the form below and then click subscribe. You will get an e-mail asking for verification. After you verify your e-mail address, you will get an e-mail the following morning between 9 and 11 a.m. (Central I believe) that shows you I have added a new post.

HOWEVER....TO GET THE FULL EFFECT...INCLUDING PICTURES AND MUSIC, YOU WILL HAVE TO ACTUALLY GO TO THE BLOG WEBSITE. YOU CAN READ THE BLOG ON THE E-MAIL, BUT IT IS BETTER IF YOU OPEN THE LINK AND GO TO THE WEBSITE TO READ!


 


 
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner






Yesterday was another long day. I was here at 6:05 and made it just in time for rounds! It is not important for me to be here because I don't really make any decisions, but it is important to me because I want to know what's going on and ask the doctors questions. Plus, it is quiet, peaceful time in the morning when there are a lot of people around.




I am starting to learn all of the nurses' names and have my favorites, and my not so favorites, however I have trouble remembering which nurse was here on which day. That is another reason why I like being here first thing in the morning...so I can keep track of information and data in my personal notebook!

Hayden struggled yesterday with comfort in general. The night nurse from two nights ago was pushing for Tylenol because she felt Hayden was uncomfortable the night before and he was running a fever. He looked uncomfortable, but he wasn't really fussing. Hayden is not like a normal baby. He rarely cries. However, he does kind of make the cutest, most pathetic little whimpers!

Hayden also got to hear one of daddy's favorite songs last night: 10,000 Reasons by Matt Redman. I wrote a previous post about this song which you can access by clicking here.

If you are new here and you would like, you can go back to the beginning by going to the "Blog Archive" to the right. If you click on the triangle next to 2012, then do the same for September, you can click on "Omphalo What?" to read about where this journey started. "Coincidence or God's Divine Plan" and "Omnipresent or Just Hanging Out in the Heart Station" are two pretty powerful entries if you would like to spend a little more time procrastinating and not working today!

As Hayden was watching his video, as I said in the earlier post, he is reasons # 10,001!





Kelsea and I left last night around 8 o'clock and headed back to the Ronald McDonald house. We were ready for a nice dinner and a relaxing night. Had a nice conversation while eating dinner with a guy who had a baby girl at the NICU at Mercy Hospital. She weighed 1 lb 4oz when born at 23 weeks. It is such a humbling experience.

I finally was able to sit down and turn on the tv for the first time in a week! Wouldn't you know, within about 3 minutes, my phone rang and the number was "unknown." Before answering, knew this was from Children's so I jumped up, turned the tv off, and started to head towards the room. It was a Resident from Neonatology and she wanted to let me know that Hayden's respiratory rate had increased and his temperature was high. This was something he battled all day yesterday, and his respiratory rate, at times, would jump up. However, it would quickly lower. His heart rate also rapidly dropped several times throughout the day, but the doctors said this can be any number of things and many babies do this all the time, we just don't know it because they aren't hooked up to a gazillion monitors!

Anyways, I was freaking out because that is not good when the hospital calls you at 10 o'clock at night! However, she wanted to let me know that they started a couple of antibiotics that would treat a wide array of things, did some blood work and cultures, chest x-ray, and gave him some Tylenol. I thanked her for the call and headed up to the room to turn in for the night. I was glad she called me, but at the same time, I was freaked out by the call. I don't want to think about it, but Kelsea and I will now have clothes in waiting every night in case we get a call that we need to quickly get to the hospital in case there is a problem.

We arrived this morning (Kelsea got up early!) right before 6 a.m. and when Kelsea called back (the NICU is a secure/locked area and you have to have the door unlocked for you) and they told her she could go back and "kick out" grandma and grandpa! As she said that, I was writing our names down in the log book and saw mom and dad had signed in at 4:30 this morning. I had a feeling they were going to come in over the night...I was right!

Doctors are doing rounds now. Hayden's temp is still high, but doing better. Ok, Neonatologist just came by and Hayden's temperature was back within normal range. The doctor's reassured Kelsea that things are good and there will be ups and downs, but it was good for her to meet the doctors on the rounds. She still hasn't been able to see Hayden's "O" when surgery comes to change the dressing...she missed it by about 30 seconds yesterday...which by the way, it is looking good. Skin is starting to grow up the sides and it is starting to harden. We are going to go get some coffee/breakfast and let grandma and grandpa spend a little more time before they leave town!

No comments:

Post a Comment