Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Selfish

There is one thing that separates us from God and that is sin. This picture I found tonight on the Internet is very similar to a picture that Bob Cowman drew for me probably two years ago. Man and God are separated by because we sin and the only thing that can connect the two is through Jesus.  Why do people sin? People sin because they are selfish. If we took our"self" out of the equation and were only concerned with how we could please others and God, then there would be no separation.

Tonight, Kelsea and I experienced many, MANY brothers and sisters in Christ take themselves out of the equation and put God and us at the center of their lives. Bob wanted to turn the normal Wednesday night prayer service into a special service for Kelsea, Hayden, and I because Kelsea is heading to St. Louis in four days. Two of those four days are filled with doctor appointments, dentists visits, eye appointments, massages (have to get some fun in the mix!) lists, packing, more list making and more packing!

I knew this was going to happen, but I have no clue how we are going to get everything together before she leaves. On top of that, I had planned to spend my whole break planning for my sub when I am in St. Louis. However, that has only panned out one or two nights! So, that is on my plate in about 25 minutes!

 
That is okay though because the past week and a half has been very enjoyable and spent relaxing with family. My parents and my sister Kelle and her husband Jay were all in town. It was good to see them and spend Christmas with them, but as always, the time went by way too fast. Tucker has also enjoyed this break, especially Jay and Hannah (Kelle's dachshund) visiting, as well as getting to play in the snow on a daily basis.

We were also blessed last week to be able to spend a night with some very close friends for dinner at the Patio. Their thoughtfulness was amazing and words cannot even begin to describe how thankful Kelsea and I are to have them in our lives. Tucker is also thankful that my best friend and his wife (Casey and Lisa) brought "him" a book! Be sure to check it out!

So many people have shown how unselfish they are and it continues to amaze Kelsea and I. We truly feel blessed that God has surrounded us with the friend and family that He has. At church tonight, Bob asked me to speak to everyone there and explain what was going on and what exactly Kelsea, Hayden, and I are dealing with. I was reluctant, because as I said in an earlier post (it's ok if you don't believe it...I'm not sure if I do either!!!) I don't like being the center of attention. It's hard to get up in front of a large group of people and talk about yourself. The bible states that believers should remove themselves from the equation and put God at the center. Only as selfish human beings do we sin. Bob asked Kelsea and I to make a list of specific requests that we had for our family over the next few weeks that we wanted our church to pray for. It was not an easy thing to do. Making this list made me feel so selfish and like I was doing something God didn't want me to do. I struggled a little discussing these items tonight, although tears weren't shed....at least too many! I desperately wanted to praise God for the things he has done for us. I wanted to ask our church family to pray for Kelsea's step-dad who underwent surgery today in Wisconsin to remove a tumor, I wanted to ask them to pray for our friends and family who are struggling to put God at the center of their lives and to follow his commandments, and I wanted them to pray for my friend Nikki Wright who has already faced too many difficulties in her pregnancy, yet her water broke a few days ago at 28 weeks.

However, Bob wanted this night to be about us and what the church could do for us. It didn't feel right being selfish and asking for things "for" us, but it was reaffirming and such an uplifting experience to see others put their selfish wants aside and put God, Kelsea, Hayden, and I at the center.

No comments:

Post a Comment