Monday, October 1, 2012

Overcome

We received some news this morning. It was some news that made myself, and even more importantly, Kelsea extremely happy. Last week, when we were in Springfield, instead of doing an amniocentesis, we opted for the Harmony prenatal test. Althought it is fairly new, this blood test is used to detect common fetal trisomies. Studies have shown it is greater than 99% accurate testing for Trisomy 21 and greater than 98% accurate testing for Trisomy 18. The Genetic Counselor called me this morning (we decided it was best to relay the information to me first, then I could pass it on to Kelsea) and told me the tests came back normal. I want to say we received some good news, but I feel like that is not what God wants me to say. The reason I say this is good news is because babies with Omphaloceles have a 25-40% chance of also having some type of chromosomal defect. As of right now,  it looks like our little boy will not have Trisomy 13, 18, or 21. However, I also know that the screenings are not 100% and we still may end up doing an amniocentesis after we go to St. Louis next week and there are still other possible defects that could be associated with the Omphalocele. We both feel like this is good news, but at the same time, that means that if he would have one of those, then that is bad news. This is not really how we feel because we know we are blessed and that with whatever God decides our baby boy should be born with or without, we will be happy. We know it is in His hands and that we just play a role in His bigger plan.

Over the past few days, I have been overcome with several different emotions and feelings. Saturday, I was overcome with joy because I finally (I didn't actually do it, my players did!!) won my first game of the season. As mentioned previously, it has been difficult because my teams have always had success at the lower level and it has been evident with our record. Saturday, I was able to be a part of one of the most exciting games I have ever coached. Although we lost to Jacksonville's JV team 3-2 on a goal with 30 seconds left to play, the way the boys played, the intensity, the heart, and the patience they had, not to mention two absolutely beautiful goals (actually five beautiful goals because Jacksonville's three goals were pretty spectacular themselves....not normal goals for a JV/Freshman game), I couldn't have been happier for the boys.

This morning, I was overcome with joy, extreme joy because I was able to hear God's work. Several years ago, I was lost. I was living life for myself and I was in a downward spiral. I didn't know it at the time, but I was miserable. I didn't know God, or I had lost contact with Him. Thankfully, he never left my side. He stayed right there, and as Bob Cowman told me many times, it was like I was drowning in a river and he kept throwing me a life preserver. Luckily, God continued to throw that life preserver and I finally saw it. His arm reaching out to me, pulling me to safety, has saved my life forever. Bob has told me that ignoring God when he is reaching out, speaking to us, turning our back on him is about as bad of a sin as you can commit. I look around me and I see people who need God's word in their life. I haven't pushed Him onto them, I have been waiting for the right time. However, I see that God is doing this for me. He is using Kelsea and I to reach out to others to show them His love and mercy and show them they are lost without Him. When we try to do it on our own, we fail...miserably. Been there. Done that. When we do it God's way, all things are possible. I was overcome with joy this morning because I see God working in other people. I have been listening to Bob the past three years, tell me with excitement in his eyes and his voice, that he sees God working in me. It is an amazing feeling to see him doing the same for others.

Tonight, I am not asking for prayers for Kelsea and I and for our little boy. I am asking for prayers for my loved ones who not necessarily don't know Jesus Christ, but who have strayed from Him and who may have turned their back on Him. I am asking God to continue pricking their hearts and give them hope that they may find a better life and realize that if they too put their faith and trust in the Lord, they can still be successful at life.

Tonight, I was overcome with amazement. We were greeted with many more cards of encouragement, scriptures, well wishes, and other gifts. It is hard to contain your emotions when you see how unselfish people are. I have always thought of myself as someone who would do anything for anybody, at any moment. However, I am quickly realizing I am nowhere close to being unselfish as I thought I was. Reading some of the personal notes, from New York, Louisiana, Iowa, and California to name a few, it almost brought me to my knees the "gifts" that others are willing to do for somebody they have never met. In a world as big as what we live in, many times it feels like we are all alone and so far from everybody else.

However, as somebody commented on here, from sea to sea, a band of angels, fellow QHS Blue Devils (angels and devils in the same sentence.... :)....) are coming together. It really makes you feel loved and as thought you are living in a small world. I just pray that God gives me the guidance to continue to spread His word and help others be overcome with God's love and mercy.

And Tuesday night, let's overcome those Raiders, fill the stands with green (yes, Green!) to support the Quincy Public Schools Foundation, and root on our Blue Devil Soccer to a 12th straight win!

No comments:

Post a Comment